What you need:
- Empty plastic bottle or jar
- Vegetable oil
- Food coloring
- Alka-Seltzer tabs
- Measuring cups
- Optional: funnel & flashlight
- Fill an empty plastic bottle or jar with ⅕ of water (math skills!)
- Next, fill the rest of the bottle or jar with cooking oil. Use a funnel if you have one and pour oil into the bottle at an angle so it stays above the water that is already in the container.
- Then, drop in 3-8 drops of food coloring (pick your favorite color). It will settle below the oil.
- Finally, drop in an Alka-Seltzer tablet. Wait and watch it bubble like a lava lamp. Shine a flashlight underneath the bottle to create a glowing effect for fun!
Did you know?Alka-Seltzer tablets fizz like crazy when dropped into water. The moment the tablet hits the water, a chemical reaction occurs that releases carbon dioxide gas which produces the bubbles or fizz that we hear and see. These are the same bubbles we hear and see when we drink soda pop.
Intermolecular polarity water and oil don’t mix. The food coloring is mostly water so it doesn’t mix with the oil. It will drop down to the water layer. Then when the Alka-Seltzer tablets are added it will raise up into the oil with the bubbles.