Are you bored at home? Have you run out of activities to keep everyone entertained? Give some of these fun and creative activities a try! From DIY Bird Feeder to Fluffy Slime these activities are designed to use objects and materials found in most homes, while using your imagination and creativeness! The idea behind these activities is to replicate the fun activities and crafts we do at camp!
DIY Bird Feeder
Did you know birds eat half their body weight in food each day? That could mean up to 1 pound of seeds a day!! For today’s activity we are going to make some homemade bird feeders. Using apples, peanut butter, and bird seed! This activity is a quick project that will help seed eating birds get the nutrients they need to survive! This project should take about 15 minutes to complete.
- 1-2 Apples per participant
- 1 Jar of peanut butter or sun-butter
- 1 plate of bird seed
- 8-10 inches of string, yarn, or fishing wire
- 1 nail or screw per apple
- Butter knife or spoon
Continue reading “DIY Projects: Bird Feeder to Fluffy Slime! Try out these DIY projects to bring camp into your home!“
- Before starting the apple, grab the plate, and pour the bird seed on it. Making sure to cover the entire plate in a thin layer.
- Take nail and insert it, point down, in the top of the apple. Make sure it is as center as possible. Leave enough room to tie the string onto the nail.
- Take 8-10 inches of string and knot each end onto the nail, so that the apple dangles when the string is held up.
- Once the string is tied, take the knife or spoon and spread the peanut butter all over the apple. Make sure to apply a thick layer to hold the seeds. If avoiding messy fingers, participants can hold the nail.
- Once the apple is covered in peanut butter to participants satisfaction, roll the apple in the plate of seeds. Make sure to get all sides and edges.
- Repeat steps 1-6 with remaining apples.
- When seeds are covering all of the apples, place your DIY bird feeders outside on a tree branch near a door or window.
- Now sit back and watch birds gobble up their treat!
Are you looking for a fun science project to do while at home? Look no further. These DIY lava lamps are the perfect science and math projects to do while at home during the “safer at home” orders. The idea is to create a fun activity and experiment that we can all love and appreciate and bring a sense of peace and calmness during these times. Watch the video of the experiment being done on Live with Kelly and Ryan
What you need:
- Empty plastic bottle or jar
- Vegetable oil
- Food coloring
- Alka-Seltzer tabs
- Measuring cups
- Optional: funnel & flashlight
- Fill an empty plastic bottle or jar with ⅕ of water (math skills!)
- Next, fill the rest of the bottle or jar with cooking oil. Use a funnel if you have one and pour oil into the bottle at an angle so it stays above the water that is already in the container.
- Then, drop in 3-8 drops of food coloring (pick your favorite color). It will settle below the oil.
- Finally, drop in an Alka-Seltzer tablet. Wait and watch it bubble like a lava lamp. Shine a flashlight underneath the bottle to create a glowing effect for fun!
Did you know?
Alka-Seltzer tablets fizz like crazy when dropped into water. The moment the tablet hits the water, a chemical reaction occurs that releases carbon dioxide gas which produces the bubbles or fizz that we hear and see. These are the same bubbles we hear and see when we drink soda pop.
Intermolecular polarity water and oil don’t mix. The food coloring is mostly water so it doesn’t mix with the oil. It will drop down to the water layer. Then when the Alka-Seltzer tablets are added it will raise up into the oil with the bubbles.
Looking for a fun art therapy project to do at home? This shaving cream mixing sensory bag is a MESS FREE art project that you can make to help relieve stress and help calm the mind when a little overstimulated with everybody being stuck at home. Following are the directions for this easy to make – hopefully mess free 😉 – activity to do at home and without even having to go to the store!
Continue reading “Shaving Cream Color Mixing Sensory Bags Reduce anxiety with this fun art project!“
Looking for more art project inspiration using household items? If you have some paper coffee filters and a few simple art supplies on hand, then we have some great crafts for you to try at home!
These coffee filter rainbows are a perfect way to relieve some stress and add some bright colors and fun to the household decor. They are easy to make and should be able to be made using all the things you probably have at home. No need to go out to the store during the “safer at home” orders. Here is a link to pictures and directions. We used markers and a spray bottle with water but the link calls for just some basic water colors. Either option will work!
What you will need:
Continue reading “Coffee Filter Artwork Getting crafty at home!“
- Markers (substitute water color paints)
- Spray bottle with water (Substitute for cup of water for water color paints)
- Plastic tablecloth, paper towel, or newspaper to cover table
- White coffee filters
- Optional Items: puffy cotton balls & glue
You don’t need to go to an arcade or the carnival to have fun. Create your own classics with some simple items found around the house!
Continue reading “DIY Games Getting creative with the classics!“