Looking for a fun art therapy project to do at home? This shaving cream mixing sensory bag is a MESS FREE art project that you can make to help relieve stress and help calm the mind when a little overstimulated with everybody being stuck at home. Following are the directions for this easy to make – hopefully mess free 😉 – activity to do at home and without even having to go to the store!
What you will need:
- Shaving Cream
- Tempura Paint or food coloring (primary colors: blue, red, yellow)
- Plastic Sandwich Bags
- Duct Tape for extra seal to ensure there is no mess
- Pour yellow paint/ food coloring into one corner of the zip-lock bag and blue paint/food coloring into the other corner.
- Add in shaving cream to the bag. Push down into the bottom corners. It is important not to overfill the bag as this increases the risk of the bag splitting.
- Ensure that any air bubbles were removed from the bag. Close the zip-lock bag and secure the bag with Duct Tape.
- Repeat the process with a new bag, adding red and blue paint to bottom. Then use another bag and add yellow and red paint to the bottom of the bag and repeat all steps.
Did you know?
Sensory art therapy is a way to reduce anxiety, resolve psychological conflicts, explore emotions, and even has been shown to decrease physical pain!
Primary colors are blue, red and yellow. Two of the three colors can be combined to make another color in the rainbow. For example, if you combine yellow and blue… as you will see from this project, you eventually make green! When you combine yellow with red you make orange and when you combine red with blue you make purple! These 3 colors cannot be created by mixing, however, these 3 primary colors are the source of ALL other colors!